Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Yay! Elected to the OpenSolaris Governing Board!

Well, the results are in! I was elected to the 2009-2010 OpenSolaris Governing Board, along with several other fine candidates.  There were so many fine people running, I really had no idea if I would be elected. Now that I have been, I have a lot of work ahead of me, I think!


Unfortunately, the new constitution did not pass, due to lack of voter turnout, essentially. Which is exactly one of the major things the new constitution was trying to fix.  Basically, in the existing constitution, in order to get voting rights in communities and recognized for your efforts, you need to become a core contributor. The elections depend on all core contributors turning out and voting, but it turns out that many of them are not interested in general governance, but rather just their community.  The proposed constitution separated the rolls of electorate and contributor, so only those interested in governance would be required to vote.  Alas, it did not pass.


I am looking forward to this extra challenge and I am now definitely inspired to make sure I leave a positive mark on the community!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Valerie. I think you'll do a fine job. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? And here I thought you were the odds on favorite!

    ReplyDelete